Class Summary - Today we talked about alcohol. We looked at some information in a powerpoint from the American Medical Association's data that they have collected on underage drinking. The data is a collection of 20 years worth of research on alcohol on the underage drinker. It addresses a lot more aspects of the dangers of drinking than just drinking and driving. We focused on why kids feel the need to drink (pressure from peers, family influence and media influence). We discussed anti-drugs and protective factors that influence students not to drink. Then we talked about alcoholism and how it starts and recovery. We watched the truth about drugs video about alcohol to finish the class period. Students were to take fill in the blank notes on the powerpoint as we talked. Fill in the blank notes are attached.
Homework - None
Objectives - Students will...
- Describe how alcohol acts as a depressant to the body
- Summarize the effects of intoxication on the body systems
- Identify three ways that intoxication may lead to death
- Identify five serious physical effects of long-term alcohol abuse
- Identify two benefits of avoiding situations where alcohol is present